The effort to understand an ancient text for what it is saying and to apply its teachings in a very different time and culture is a difficult challenge. When that text is a translation of an original written in a different language it is an even bigger challenge. This course is designed as a hands-on exercise aimed at enhancing the student’s ability to understand, interpret, and apply the text of Scripture. Students will be introduced to expositional skills that will help them identify what the text is saying, interpret its message accurately, and apply it to their lives consistently with its intent.
- Living by the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible, Howard Hendricks, ISBN: 978-0802408235
- A Basic Guide to Interpreting the Bible, Robert H. Stein, ISBN: 978-0801033735
- Basic Bible Interpretation, Roy B. Zuck, ISBN: 978-0781438773
- Biblical Words and Their Meaning: An Introduction to Lexical Semantics., Moises Silva, ISBN: 978-0310479819
- How to Read the Jewish Bible, Marc Zvi Brettler, ISBN: 978-0195325225